Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 19
Scope/content: The collection contains an unfinished manuscript by A.J. Morrison about Prince Edward County, along with letters, newspaper clippings, and various documents about local history. Dates of materials range from 1754-1975.
Scope and Contents The Dr. James Leutze Papers document Leutze’s tenure as president of Hampden-Sydney College from 1987-1990, including additional documents related to his subsequent tenure at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. The collection includes copies of public addresses, publications, correspondence, photographs, film slides, newspaper clippings, items relating to the presidential inauguration in 1987, and items related to his departure from the College.
Scope and Contents The Dr. Ralph Rossum Papers document Rossum’s tenure as president of Hampden-Sydney College from 1991 to 1992 along with some documents relating to his previous position as dean of faculty at Claremont McKenna College. Primarily dating between 1988-1992, the collection includes documents related to his acceptance and inauguration as president of Hampden-Sydney, some correspondence and miscellaneous items from his short time as president, and items related to his departure as president with some...
Scope and Contents The Dr. Walter Taylor Reveley II Papers document Reveley’s tenure as president of Hampden-Sydney College from 1963 to 1977. The collection includes documents related to his acceptance and inauguration as president of Hampden-Sydney, some correspondence, photographs from his time as president, and items related to his departure as president along with materials related to his death and burial.
Collection — Location: Shelf 51
Collection — Location: 4th Floor Bortz Library
Scope and Contents This is a collection of 48 maps and related images, the gift of Henry and Kaye Spalding, Jr., Class of 1960. The maps focus on the Chespeake Bay, the body of water that enabled the settlement and development of the state of Virginia. They depict the area between the years of 1590 and 1860, and are drawn by European mapmakers and, as evidenced in later works, those residing in...
Scope and Contents The Joseph D. Eggleston II Papers document Eggleston’s tenure as president of Hampden-Sydney College from 1919 to 1939, as well as his retirement, when he continued to conduct genealogical research pertaining to Prince Edward County, Virginia, and to live on the Hampen-Sydney College campus. Primarily dating from 1934 to 1951, the collection includes copies of public addresses and presentations, photos, correspondence, newspaper clippings, historical documents used in genealogical research,...
Collection — Drawer: 10
Scope and Contents The drawings in this collection include Specifications and Drawings for Spiers House, Raleigh, NC, 1862. The Spiers house was never constructed, and little information has been found regarding the Spiers family. Plans for the house offer a glimpse into antebellum architecture, in particular plans for a structure intended to house not only a family but enslaved servants.
Scope and Contents The Josiah Bunting III Papers document Bunting’s tenure as president of Hampden-Sydney College from 1977-1987 along with some documents relating to his tenure at Lawrenceville School and later at the Virginia Military Institute. Primarily dating between 1977-1987, the collection includes copies of public addresses, publications, correspondence, photos, newspaper clippings, items relating to the presidential search in 1976, and items relating to his departure and his work after departure.
- Hampden-Sydney College 10
- Prince Edward County (Va.) 7
- Military history 4
- United States--History 4
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865 3
- United States--History--Revolution, 1775-1783 3
- Universities and colleges--Alumni and alumnae--United States 3
- United States Army 2
- African American newspapers 1
- Architectural drawing--19th century 1
- Architecture 1
- Architecture, Domestic--Designs and plans 1
- Architecture, Domestic--North Carolina 1
- Architecture--Details 1
- Associations, institutions, etc.—African American membership 1
- Building--Details--Drawing 1
- Cartography 1
- Chesapeake Bay Region (Md. and Va.) 1
- Christianity--United States 1
- Civil Rights Movements--United States 1
- College Sports 1
- Early childhood education 1
- Maps 1
- Nursery schools 1
- Photography 1
- Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.--History 1
- Presbyterians--United States 1
- Race discrimination—United States 1
- School integration 1
- School integration—Massive resistance movement 1
- Segregation in education 1
- United States--Maps--Early Works to 1800 1
- World War, 1939-1945 1
- World War, 1939-1945—Campaigns—Burma 1
- World War, 1939-1945—Veterans 1 ∧ less
- English 11
- English 7
- Germanic languages 1
- Romance languages 1
- Hampden-Sydney College 4
- Wilson, Samuel (Samuel Vaughan) 2
- Bunting , Josiah, 1939- 1
- Cosby, John W., 1815-1867 1
- John Waitt Cosby 1